Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Some you win some you lose


So this blog is purely based on friendship. I found myself looking through old photos from school and college, and found myself looking at certain faces and thinking what happened? Why don't we talk? How did we go from practically best friends, to not speaking at all? I saw one face in particular, I had met this friend when I was about fifteen, he was a real fun loving guy, and he was my ultimate guru, the one I went to whenever I had any problems or worries, and he came to me with a lot of his problems, we always had a laugh, and as years went on we got closer, he was always one to brighten up my day, even if it did mean him pushing me off walls and tripping me up, it was one of those "each punch shows affection" friendships. Then slowly as we both got older, he got distant, until suddenly nothing, I haven't seen him in god knows how many months, I have his number, if it’s even still his number at all? I have him on Facebook, not that that means much, we have everyone from our best friends to our milkman on Facebook these days don’t we? I have tried to initiate conversation through private chat, but a “hello” usually doesn’t gain a response, so I have done my part and tried.

It’s just the question of why? Why did we become so distant? Did I do something wrong? I'd like to say I haven't but that’s the way it’s left me feeling, I found myself questioning many things that I may have done to upset him, or what he may have heard that made him think I wasn’t worthy of a friendship? Or is it because we have both just simply grown and changed? It can be hard keeping a friendship going when you’re not at college and don’t work together or live close to each other, and I presume that’s the reason a LOT of people drift, geography. I am gutted that we drifted, as I am with a lot of friends, but sometimes it just can’t be prevented. But what do I do when I see him going down a bad path? Making a few wrong choices? I don’t agree with his recent rendezvous, but who am I to pull him aside and ask him “what are you doing?” It is nothing to do with me anymore, and I just hope for the best for him and his future, and hope he knows that I would always be here if he needed advice or someone to listen.

 I have come to realise this isn't high school anymore, it’s now that I have come to realise who and what true friends are, at high school there was too much bitching, friends stabbing friends behind their back, best friends one week, enemies the next. You lose friends from high school; it’s pretty much inevitable, friends get a partner, that’s when many people forget their friends, friends take a back seat in a lot of situations. It’s the ones that you hang on to that are special, the ones that love you for who you are, there for the times in life you need picking up. Would you prefer ten crap friends or one best friend? You do the maths.

I am not completely shrugging off old friends, if ever they need me, then bam I’m there in a shot, if it’s just for a catch up and reminisce on the old times, then why not. I would consider myself a good friend, I hope they don’t disagree! Sometimes we are just simply too busy to spend weekends with friends, and socialise as much as we wish we could. All that matters is that I’m there for them when they need me right? A shoulder to cry on, a listener, an advisor, and a joker for the times they need a heads up.

1 comment:

  1. People drift. It's sad. I hate it. But it's life I guess. It happens. And mostly - it needs to happen. Just be thankful that you have met and had those people in your life.

    ReplyDelete